Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB) is a leader among the Greek higher education institutions of economics and business. Further to its academic excellence, during the last ten years, the Athens University of Economics and Business has put significant emphasis and effort in promoting, encouraging and supporting entrepreneurship and innovation within its wider academic community. Key pillars of the University’s strategy regarding Innovation and Entrepreneurship are:
- The introduction of courses on entrepreneurship in all graduate and undergraduate programs, through contemporary educational methods.
- The systematic promotion of entrepreneurship in the wider Greek context through competitions (e.g. Ennovation ), specialized seminars, support and development of new entrepreneurs through the provision of specialized services and mentoring, etc.
- The promotion of innovative research (doctorates, research projects), and the subsequent valorisation of their results.
- The establishment of structures for technology transfer in collaboration with foreign centres of excellence and institutions with innovative technological products and/orservices.
- The collaboration with the wider Greek ecosystem regarding entrepreneurship and innovation to achieve economies of scale, complementarities, sustainability and scaleup of the results.
In recognition of its 10-year experience, currently the Athens University of Economics and Business has been funded by the Municipality of Athens to establish and operate an Incubator within its premises, called hereafter ACE – Athens Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation. The key strategy of ACE is to support newly established very small and small companies, operating in innovative fields, such as e-commerce, ICT, social entrepreneurship, etc. Within the framework of ACEin, these companies are offered training on how to establish and run a start-up, services from experts in fields such as accounting and taxation issues, legal issues, etc., mentoring and networking.